Friday, October 30, 2009

Brad's iphone pics revealed

I know you've all been waiting for the unveiling of Brad's iphone pics. Fine art is coming your way. Here are the pictures from our San Fransisco trip.

We did the public transportation thing to go into the city the first day and met all kinds of fun characters that day. Lots of diversity and colorful language.


The Pier. With a gigantic carousel we thought the kids would like. But since they weren't there, we didn't have to pay the $5 a ride. Ha.


Yum.

We took this picture for our Fancy Katie. It was one of the cute shops on Ghiridelli square and all the ruffles and lace and pink and dainty things made us think how much she would love to have some "tea" there.
Well, the Palace of Fine Arts was so lovely at sunset, I tried to be artistic.


Isn't there some romantic comedy where there is a scene of the couple rowing in this lake?



That night we went to see Wicked. We had a crazy Russian cab driver drive us down to the theater. We discussed politics with him (Obama was in town that day) amidst his swerving and slamming of the brakes and the honking and swearing at him in all different languages from the other drivers on the road. Something about his mother. . .

After a whole day of using location services on Brad's phone to find our way around the city, the iphone died while we were riding the BART out of the city. Not the best situation to be in late at night. A really nice man let us borrow his cell phone so that we could call back to Utah and wake up my parents to get Beth's phone number and then call Beth and tell her where we were and when to pick us up at the train station. Sorry, again, Dad. . . and Beth who had a late night and thought we had been mugged. The last text message we got from her said, "...getting worried."


The next day we drove down to Monterey and Carmel. Ritzy, cute shops and beautiful scenery. This is where the rich go vacation and we felt quite upscale compared to our day on the buses and BART (underground rail).

Trying to pick out a treat for the kids.

Oh, the happiness at having a car!

Cute beach house right on the coast. Maybe Snow White will come out singing.

I was in love with the orange/red ground cover against the blue of the sea.


The lone cypress tree on 17 mile drive.

Golfing at Pebble Beach.

The beach in Carmel. The iphone only has one angle and that is WIDE.


I was really missing my camera at the beach. I wanted to try this thing out with reflections.

An unsuspecting couple walked by. Someday, I need to do a photo shoot at the beach. . . any takers?
Carmel had all sorts of quaint streets and shops. We went to a fabulous restaurant that Beth recommended called "Casanova's". Whenever a lady left the table to go to the powder room, the waiter folded her napkin into a swan or a flower for her to find on her return. I only found out at the end or I would have visited the ladies room multiple times.
Driving across the Golden Gate bridge that is not golden.
Muir woods and the giant redwoods. Anyone seen Disney's Gnomemobile? A classic from my childhood.
That night after going out to eat at a fantastic Thai restaurant for Brad's b-day, we went to a concert at Stanford's memorial chapel. Craig Jessop was doing an interfaith workshop and they performed Mendelsson's Elijah. Beth and I are the dark blobs at the bottom.
We went to church with Beth the next morning where the speakers talked about food. . . maybe it's because the food is so good there. Thank you, thank you, Beth for a great visit.

4 comments:

Once Upon A Time..... said...

I'll do a photo shoot with you ANYTIME Rachel!! just name it and i will be there. :) i am sure mom can take the kids off our hands.

MariLouise said...

It was really fun to see all our old haunts--thanks for these pictures! (Don't you just love Carmel?) :)

Bethany said...

Looks like a very fun trip!! Next time you can come visit our nation's capital. :)

Margaret said...

Thanks for the tour of SF...and Stanford. I loved your pictures of the palace of fine arts! I can't believe you took the pictures with a cell phone...AMAZING.