Monday, March 1, 2010

Missed

Sometimes, I will look back at pics I've taken of my family and find pictures I "missed." The first time through, I didn't want to see anything in that particular picture. At the time, I wanted my pictures to look like photographer a or b that I look up to.

In the beginning, photography for me was about learning how to "see". The line, color, composition, lighting that was there but I didn't understand enough to know how to manipulate it. And lately it's been about learning to trust what I see. The pictures I usually end up loving the most are the ones when I'm true to me and what is seen through me. I know we all like to get inspiration from each other but I can tell when I'm pushing things or trying to force what I have to work with into what another photographer created in a shot. Doesn't usually work. Doesn't usually make me happy. So, I'm trying to always learn and improve but not to compare. I prepare, prepare and then respond in the moment to the thoughts that come while shooting. . . and that's when the magic happens.

No comments: