Tuesday, April 22, 2008

And then Annie had a birthday. . .

And she got so many presents. Princess dolls and little pets and balls and books and... and. . . and jealous does ugly things to a person. Lately Katie has been seen dunking Annie's birthday card from her grandma in the bathtub or grabbing armfuls of Annie's new toys and running to her room screaming "MINE!". We all tried to help ease Katie through this but it's hard for a two year old to understand. You will have a birthday too . . . . it's in July. Too bad Katie's birthday didn't come first in the calendar year because she still has Caleb's One-Year-Old birthday in May to suffer through before it's her turn. This really aggravates the whole middle child syndrome. Any objections to my changing Katie's birthday to March?

2 comments:

Jen said...

That's so tough! I love Katie's dramatic flare!

I've kind of cheated on the girls' birthdays (they don't have problems on the boys' birthdays, go figure). For a few years now, the non-birthday girl has received a small present as well (like coordinating Barbies, for example) "so they can play with them together." They have generally been great being happy for the birthday person and celebrating him/her, but after a while, it seems that the non-birthday girl started to feel sad. Being the middle child myself (4th of 7) I've really wanted to make sure that everyone knows they are loved and special, no matter what the occasion is. At least while they're so small and don't quite grasp the concept of what's going on, receiving the smallest little gift has helped ease the pain of someone else's party ;o)

Rachel said...

Jen, we actually did that too. I helped Annie buy a gift to give to Katie and it helped with the first day and the party with our little family. But then came day 2 with a party with Brad's family, then day 3 with a friend party and a party with my family. It is clear I need to consult with you on this. I'm calling.