"Star of the Morning" by Lynn Kurland. I'm really taken with how this book takes a different person's perspective each chapter. It added a demention to the characters to contrast being inside their head with viewing them through others around them.
"Fairest" by Gail Carson Levine. I like this author's fairytales quite a bit. Good, clean fun. Something I would let my young-adult read.
"Heart's Blood" by Juliet Marillier. Another winner by Marillier. A beauty and the Beast kind of story.
"The Hunger Games" bySuzanne Collins. So, when is the next book coming out? What a fast read and I'm ready for more. I had to laugh at some of the similarities to the reality shows (Bachelor, Idol, etc.). I liked.
"The Chosen" by Carol Lynch Williams. A rather disturbing look at life for one young girl in a Polygamist society. Very well written.
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Charming and delightful. Written as letters between the characters.
"Fire in the Bones: William Tyndale--Martyr, Father of the English Bible" S. Michael Wilcox
"Daughter of the Forest", "Son of the Shadows" and "Child of the Prophecy" by Juliet Marillier. Sevenwaters Trilogy. Beautiful and full of heart. I really connected with this author and her rich development of themes and characters. Great messages about love and loyalty. However, these aren't for everyone. I have a neighbor friend that offered her "edited" versions so there may be a few objectionable paragraphs. Too bad there's not a clean flicks for books.
"Heir to Sevenwaters" by Juliet Mariller. Not my favorite but a good read. A compelling story.
"Wildwood Dancing" by Juliet Marillier. A lighter read. Again, I thought this author developed the characters and relationships expertly. I like what she said about love and friendship.
"A Curse Dark as Gold" by Elizabeth C. Bunce. I read this awhile ago. If you want to escape from thinking about finances, don't read this book. Although the main character's struggles with money could identify with a modern audience. A good read.
"How to Talk and Talk So Kids Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
"Siblings Without Rivalry"
"Sarah's Quilt" by Nancy Turner. Will I be booed if I say I didn't really like this book?
"The Truth About Forever" by Sarah Dessen. A beautifully written story about healing and then, ahhh, summer romance. Great book club read.
"Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card. I've always like this author. I thought this book was well written. A retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story jumping between the modern and medevil world. I liked the thoughts on community in this book and how we've lost much of that in modern, big city, more transient society.
"Pretties" and "Specials" by Scott Westerfield. Fast reads for me. I think I may have liked the first one best though. Thanks for suggesting these, Cari. I thought they dealt with some good issues. I've started talking in my head like a teenager though. And that's just so unmature making.
"Uglies" by Scott Westerfield. Why oh why didn't I request the next two books in this trilogy from my library at the same time I did the first? Now I have to wait for half of Springville to finish so I can gain some closure and move on with my life. Great Book Club read.
"Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson. Won a Pulitzer Prize. A man, a minister, witing to his son before he dies. Written stream of thought style. A bit hard to get into for me but there were some good messages about faith and friendship.
"The Thief" by Magen Whalen Turner. This was a Newberry Honor book. I didn't think I was going to like it for the first fourth to half of the book but by the end, I'm a fan. Fantasy Fiction.
"Celia Garth" by Gwen Bristow. This was a blast from the past. . .literally. A great historical fiction. It used to be one of my favorite reads but now it is out of the libraries and out of print. I bought it from some antiques book store and had fun re-reading it after so many years. I still like it a lot. I'll have to get Bethany to read it and tell me if the Revolutionary War facts are all historically correct. Let me know if anyone wants to borrow it.
"These is my words : the diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 : Arizona territories : a novel" by Nancy E. Turner. Wonderful story. I loved many of the descriptions and feelings related about being a wife and mother. It was a great escape for me but yet so many of the struggles and joys of this lady are my reality. I devoured it this past weekend. (Sorry for ignoring you, Brad.) Thanks for picking it for book club, Brooke.
"The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman-- great read for book group. I'm not an atheist yet. . . there's still time though. I'm on to read the sequel.
"The Sneaky Chef"-- In true New Years' fashion, I've been making a little healthy push by trying out recipes in this book. I spent one Saturday shopping and pureeing like a crazy chef and it was fun.
1 comment:
Love the first one of K-bug so cute!!!
Post a Comment