Friday, October 5, 2007

Must do?

Almost every day I think about something I read in the back of the May conference Ensign introducing the new RS presidency. In the article on Julie Beck they said she prioritize her time into "must do" "should do" and "nice to do." In the immediacy of caring for three young children, I have to really plan for the "must dos" of scripture study, temple attendance, husband time, etc. Doing these things then helps me in the many real-time decisions of the day, when I am interrupted in my "nice to do" reading, or when I feel like I have way to much I need to get done, I try to stop and put myself in this perspective. Is this a must do, a should do, or just a nice to do?

I have to let go of a lot of things I want to do that very much feel like must dos in my mind. The unmopped floor has to be patient because my baby needs to be loved. My new book will have to stay closed because my four-year-old wants to play a game. My camera will have to stay on the shelf because my two-year-old needs to be held. My long and beautiful blog entry will have to wait because my husband needs some time too.

5 comments:

brook said...

Thanks Rachel. This was just what I needed to hear today--as I've been overly busy with some "nice-to-do" things on my list.

Rich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

This is such a good daily thought. I feel like that is something I definitely face each day -- too much to do and a need to prioritize. Thanks for this reminder Rach.

Kristi said...

I agree with Brook and Brooke. I needed this too! I've just been trying to read everything, bake everything, clean everything and be super-mommy and super-wife! And I only have ONE BABY! You guys are my heroes who figure it all out with three! I'm getting it down, and I really needed this thought. Which means that I'm going to leave the computer and take a shower during Claire's nap. Blogging: VERY nice to do. Showering: Kind of a must...

Isabelle said...

Thank you for this Rachel, I needed to hear this too. I will definitively look this article up!