Brad just bought a 50 dollar bottle of some miracle cleaner. Brad, who never buys ANYTHING without researching it out for at least a year, is a sucker for door to door salesmen. I've thought about putting up a "no solicitors" sign on our door to try to help poor Brad out, but they catch him working outside or walking down the street. I need a "no solicitors" sign to hang around his neck.
Really, it would be for his own good. It's not so much that he buys the kid's cleaner, the Mexican's hammocks, and the up and coming Celtic music artist's CD (he still adamantly declares that he loves that CD), but that he spends hours of his time talking with and listening to them. He simply cannot extricate himself from the situation.
He once spent 3 hours with a vacuum salesman in our home. No, we didn't buy the 2000 dollar vacuum. Waste of everyone's time, I tell you. Honestly, I don't know how he survived all the beggars and street vendors in Argentina or dating for that matter. The nicest guy you've ever met.
Mark, maybe if you came to our door you could even make him like Comcast. . .okay, maybe not, but he would like you and talk to you for a long time and give you a drink of water and then, because he liked you, or maybe just because he wanted you to leave and felt too bad about saying "no", he would sign up for the phone plan. Sometimes, I help Brad out and go be the bad guy: "Here's a drink and no, no, I don't want you to come in my house and clean my toughest stain, and no, I don't plan on scrubbing my bricks with your cleaner, and yes, I know I COULD drink your cleaner, but, no, I don't plan on doing that either, no. . .no thank you." But today I just shook my head and let him talk. And so, we have the cleaner and a new friend in the door to door sales business.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! What a story! (and a history!) I guess I'm the bad guy... big time. We get so many solicitors at our door because we live in a well-to-do neighborhood (no one knows we were students forever and are still just renting). I bought the no soliciting sign, but never hung it! I even turned down a girl the other day who was giving me quite the guilt trip "not even to help a good cause?" "we only need one more pledge". I felt bad, but if I give $20 to everyone who comes to my door... well, it's just not in the budget. Jon, on the other hand is a lot more like Brad: soft-hearted in every situation. I guess we balance each other out :o)
We have that same cleaner and the same thoughts about door-to-door salespeople. I admit we do have a soft spot for those hitting the pavement--because Tim sold security systems door-to-door for two years.
I'm so happy you liked The Truth About Forever--I'm so excited for this month's book group!
Post a Comment